The Caseificio San Bernardino dairy was born in 1977 and it is named after the XV century oratory attached to the property that, according to historical records and the frescos still visible today, is dedicated to Saint Bernard, Bishop of Parma and Benedictine monk. The oratory was built by a Cavalier Bonini, having obtained a dispensation from the dioceses.
In the interior structure are displayed contemporary paintings by Proferio Grossi and Omar Galliani, depicting subjects of the farming world and various phases of processing of Parmigiano Reggiano. The surrounding set is the wonderful Terre di Canossa, to which the municipality of Montechiarugolo belongs.
Mario Caramaschi in 1977, together with his eighteen-year-old sons Paolo and Giuseppe, founded the Caseificio San Bernardino dairy.
As of today, five generations, including the present one, have succeeded in running the dairy, though the Caramaschi family, originally from Mantua, was already active in farming and animal husbandry since 1600. Many ancestors took on the profession known at that time as “cacciai” (cheese makers), producers of “cacio”, cheese.
Here are their names, each of them made an important contribution to what we are now:
And today Paolo and Giuseppe with Luca Caramaschi